One of the more exciting opportunities for food industry entrepreneurs in recent years has been the growth of gourmet food trucks. This trend, which started right here in Southern California and moved across the country, has become a billion dollar industry. Growth in food truck sales outpaces total food industry growth and has been rising at an average of 9.3% per year over the last five years. There are almost 300 food trucks operating in LA alone!
If you’re a food truck operator, you know the crazy amount of attention to detail that’s required to run a successful business. With food truck net profits averaging around 25%, cost management is a very important factor. Propane is also clean energy – no green-house emissions. Using it helps protect the environment.
Properly managed, propane is also very safe. Working with a professional propane refiller, such as any of the companies in our network, is the first critical step you should take. This will put you on the path toward long-term safety. Following that key decision, there are several additional steps that need to be taken which will ensure the safety of your workers and customers alike. These include:
- Hire professionals to hook up your refilled propane tank.
- Always make sure there is plenty of ventilation so fresh air circulates through the work area.
- Train your employees to detect the smell of propane gas in case of any leaks.
- Avoid electrical sparks or sources of ignition around propane.
- Always leave the generator outside the truck when it’s in operation.
- Have a fully charged fire extinguisher near the generator.
- Contact the International Fire Marshals Association (IFMA) for the latest information on proper and periodic inspections of gas connections and portable generators.
As summer events start heating up, so will your food truck business and your propane needs! Ted Johnson Propane has been a leader in the Southern California propane business for fifty years. We have many convenient locations to serve you. Click here to find one near you!
To receive our newsletter, please complete the form on this page.